Promise of God’s help in time of fear and stress:
- Deuteronomy 31:6: “Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.”
- Psalm 27:1: “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”
- Psalm 56:3-4: “Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. In God (I will praise His word), in God I have put my trust; I will not fear. What can flesh do to me?”
- Psalm 118:6: “The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
- Proverbs 3:25-26: “Do not be afraid of sudden terror, nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes; for the Lord will be your confidence, and will keep your foot from being caught.”
- Proverbs 29:25: “The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe.”
- Isaiah 41:10: “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
In the margin of your Bible next to Deuteronomy 31:6 write this reference: Psalm 27:1. Next to Psalm 27:1 write this reference: Psalm 56:3-4, and so on until you’ve created a chain of verse references about fear. That way, you don’t need to remember them all; you only need to remember the first one—Deuteronomy 31:6—and it will lead you to the rest. When you find yourself in a fearful moment, turn to Deuteronomy 31:6 and meditate through the whole chain of verses and let the Holy Spirit help you understand what’s going on in your heart and mind (according to 2 Timothy 3:16 and Hebrews 4:12).
“Unless you teach your moods ‘where to get off’ you can never be a sound Christian. . . . A creature like that is a creature dithering to and fro with its beliefs really dependent on the weather and the state of one’s own digestion.” We must not give in to feelings when we pray. We need to concentrate on what we know to be true about God.
– David Jeremiah “Making Sense of It All”